1. Sleigh Bells – Electronic Indie for fans of Amanda Blank, Peaches, and Passion Pit. I actually just listened to this band for the first time a few days ago, and they already amaze me.
2. Rogue Wave – After talking to another Indie DJ, we both mentioned how this recent add to the stacks has attracted our attention. For fans of Death Cab for Cutie, and to be honest, they sound a little like the old Foo Fighters (think “Big Me”).
3. The Press – Their new release ‘Inteotwijeoae’ (yeah, try saying that) is fantastic. Fans of Tokyo Police Club would probably enjoy them.
4. Seabear – We received some pretty upsetting news this year with Sigur Ros breaking up. But hey, here’s this awesome band from Iceland you can listen to to ease a bit of your sorrow. But really, this band is good. Mellow with haunting vocals.
5. White Hinterland – For fans of Beach House, a more mellow version of Black Moth Super Rainbow, and Florence and the Machine. More haunting female vocals with softer modern electronic beats to back them up.
Well, this post is a couple months too late, but hey, it’s always a good time to talk about good music.
1. Fanfarlo – “Reservoir”
This album is simply amazing. I fell in love with Fanfarlo this past year. The band sounds like a mix of Beirut and Neutral Milk Hotel.
2. Passion Pit – “Manners”
Ever since their “Chunk of Change” EP, I’ve been a big fan of Passion Pit. They played at Lollapalooza in 2009, and had their song “Sleepyhead” on a tv commercial. I’m excited to say that I will be seeing them in Columbus on March 31st.
3. Phoenix – “Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix”
This band has been everywhere lately. First an Apple commercial, then a car commercial, there’s no telling where they’ll go next.
4. Cold Cave – “Love Comes Close”
Definitely only for electronic music fans, and those who can stand circuit bending. It’s a great album, and was love at first listen for me.
5. We Were Promised Jetpacks – “These Four Walls”
I only took the time to check out this band because of their name, and it was totally worth it. This Scottish band’s cd has really great singles–I recommend “Quiet Little Voices” and “It’s Thunder and It’s Lightening.”